Monday 5 March 2007

Sheltering Rain, by Jojo Moyes

Sheltering Rain This book is the reason why I wrote that "Bad Chili" was really different from my usual romantic books. I (without any big surprise here) borrowed it from the library because I liked its cover very much and thought a little romance would be nice.

I found the first half of the book rather slow and boring, with the same things repeating again and again. This is why I left "Sheltering Rain" to read "Bad Chilli" and only went back to it after I finished the latter. However, the last third becomes increasingly interesting and involving and I had difficulties putting the book down yesterday night (although I had a terrible headache) and again this morning (although I should really have hurried up and gotten to work). I finally managed to settle in tonight and finish it of.

A story across three generations of women (grand-mother, mother and daughter), I realise now. With long accumulated resentment and differences in lifestyle. Quite nicely done, from Hong Kong to Ireland to London. Well, I liked the book, liked how the characters evolved even if it was very classic. There was some unpredicted (by me) events to keep the story entertaining.

Right. I think I have one more book in French, and then I'm left with the German books I borrowed from the library.

1 comment:

Amélie said...

Well. I did spend a lot of time reading last week :D
Didn't do much else, except for Saturday afternoon-evening.
I haven't read anything since Monday night though. Don't want to risk the overdose ;-)