Monday 5 March 2007

Bad Chili, by Joe R. Lansdale

Bad Chili Andrew lent me that book. Quite a change from my usual romantic books :D

I enjoyed the writing style, learned new vocabulary and expressions. The book is a real page turner, but that keeps a relaxed atmosphere (I mean, there is no equivalent to super stressing music in bad horror movies in this book -- if anybody can understand what I mean here, I'll be happy). Somehow it reminded me of the style of "The stranger, by Albert Camus". Except that there isn't any swearing in Camus' book.

The two main characters are witty and good fighters, which is quite vital in the story. It is full of violence. A friend told me she couldn't read all the description about the violent videos. But what I found the most disturbing in the end was the description of domestic violence. It also reveals life in smaller towns in Texas, and describes a cool tornado. In any case, I really enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more from the author.

I don't think I'm ever going to be asked to write book reviews if anybody in the business reads my blog .. I hope you don't mind my style and senseless remarks. This is just what comes through my mind without any structuring or anything (in case it wasn't obvious already).


[Joe R. Lansdale's entry on Wikipedia]

1 comment:

Amélie said...

lol
and the music is so scary that even if you turn the image of (or don't watch the TV) you're already stressed out of your mind just listening to it :D
In any case, that book's good.