Sunday 25 March 2007

Messieurs les enfants, by Daniel Pennac

Messieurs les enfants A friend introduced me to Pennac a couple of years back, with "Aux fruits de la passion". I found the book completely crazy but enjoyed it. That's why I immediately pulled "Messieurs les enfants" out of their shelf in the library and put them in my basket.

The book was pure pleasure. I enjoyed the spicy dialogues and the diverse characters. The subject: "You wake up one morning and realize that during the night you have been turned into an adult. Freaking out, you run to your parents' room. They've been turned into children. Tell the continuation.

(That's my translation .. I might change it when I find more appropriate phrasing)

I'd definitely recommand this book to anybody who can read it in French. And to anybody who comes across a translated version too :D

2 comments:

lokett said...

loved this book too ^-^
My favorite one from Pennac, although I love them all, remains "La petite marchande de prose", the third of the Malaussene's series.
Such a fantastic writing style, and delirious stories, and characters...

sebas said...

Messieurs les enfants is very imaginative and absorbing and one of the most interesting and humorous books I have read. The sarcasm and humor are simply exuberant.
The characters could be each of us depicted in our good, bad, glorious or ridiculous moments. Daniel Pennac successfully mocks at the grotesque, succeeding to emphasize that maybe the world is a better place when it’s upside down. Biological rules are broken; children become parents and vice-versa.
The decisions made and the way children cope with critical moments are remarkable and betray the fact that the author is a good psychologist with a vast knowledge of life and people. The dialogue is intelligent and it is as if the words have voice.
Read the book! It is really worth it. I loved it! Sebastiana Dekany, Romania