Friday 2 March 2007

Portrait Sépia, by Isabel Allende

Portrait Sépia I have read several books from Isabel Allende (Daughter of Fortune, City of the Beasts, Kingdom of the golden dragon). I have also bought "Forest of the Pygmies" in Spanish but it isn't that easy for me to read Spanish and I find the plot surprisingly stupid. In any case, this book on the French shelves of the library attracted me and it landed in my (already well loaded) basket.

It is a sequel to "Daughter of Fortune" and tells the story of that first book very quickly (so I'd recommend reading Daughter of Fortune first, or the book would be spoiled by this one). Isabel Allende has a nice way of telling stories, with enough historical context and events that you feel involved in the story, and you learn things (particularly regarding Chili history), but not going into too many details, names and dates so that it doesn't become boring. The characters are interesting and very likable. There might just be too many of them to properly know them all in detail, and even Aurora seems a little bit hollow at times, submerged by all the strong characters around her.

All in all, it was a very entertaining novel with a little bit of mystery (not too much, it isn't too hard to imagine what it is), nice characters, and an historical touch.

[Isabel Allende's Website][Wikipedia article]

No comments: