Tuesday 1 May 2007

L'homme aux cercles bleus, by Fred Vargas

L'homme aux cercles bleus, by Fred Vargas I had to search the French corner of Münster's library for five good minutes before I spotted this rather small book.

Adamsberg leads the search, so no toad for this time. I really enjoyed meeting all the characters: a small book, with four main characters (Adamsberg, Danglard, Mathilde and Reyner) who are well drawn, plus important side-characters. Well .. that's Vargas's style .. I like it :)

I thought maybe it started a little bit fast with witty dialogues right from the beginning, but hey, that puts the reader in context faster I suppose.

Oh and of course, the end .. as unpredictable for me as ever :D

3 comments:

Peter Rozovsky said...

Je viens de lire ... ooops! I have just read my first Vargas novel, Wash This Blood Clean From My Hand (Sous les vents de Neptune). It was a splendid introduction to Vargas, in part because of the well-drawn minor characters. I've just started reading Have Mercy On Us All, and I think witty dialogue right from the beginning is Vargas' style.

I posted some comments on my blog at http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/search/label/Fred%20Vargas
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Love Work, Hate Lordship, And Seek No Intimacy With the Ruling Power"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Amélie said...

Hi Peter,

lol I write my book blog in English but keep reading books in French I guess it's weird.

I haven't had the chance to read any of the two books you've spotted but if I see them I'll definitely read them !

Peter Rozovsky said...

Have Mercy On Us All is the translation of Pars vite et reviens tard, since you read in French. I am not far enough into the book to know if either title is apt.

I have been wondering if I should try reading Vargas in the original. Fiction in French generally defeats me, but I can read the philosophes and Toqueville; their language is much more straighforward and easier. Oh, and Daniel Pennac's Comme un roman. If teachers used that in their courses, students everywhere would love French!

You're in Germany, and you read crime fiction. Do you know Gunther Gerlach?

==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/