Monday 19 February 2007

Priestess of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley

The mists of Avalon Priestess of Avalon In November 2006, I read "The Mists of Avalon", by the same author. I liked her description of Avalon and its religion a lot and that was my main reason for borrowing "Priestess of Avalon".

I prefered the writing style in the second book, but I liked the description of religion in both. Feminism didn't disturb me (although I find that for a feminist book, women still have a tendency to hide their nature and take the will of their husbands for an order). I really enjoyed the criticisms the author writes about Christianism and how she explains how and why it took over the Roman gods and the Goddess of Avalon.

What I totally disliked was the unability of the powerful women to positively influence their children. But maybe it is something that really happens in life: people involved in a fight or a cause are sometimes the best contradictors of their own cause in their private life.

All in all, I found both books entertaining, easy to read and real page turners. I enjoyed some of the ideas, but was often angry at the behaviour of the main characters, which I don't particularly enjoy when it becomes recurrent).


[Wikipedia article on The Mists of Avalon],[Wikipedia article on Marion Zimmer Bradley]

No comments: